Transforming Leaders Program
An elite 10-month program designed to identify and develop talent among experienced members for future leadership roles in the AAN and the field of neurology.
Applications now being accepted through June 5, 2017.
- Program Overview
Through the program you will:
- Gain exposure to AAN leadership and executive staff who will provide high-level access to the roles, mission, and vision of the AAN
- Receive customized individual leadership development training and one-on-one coaching
- Expand your network and accelerate your professional growth
The program includes customized mentoring opportunities, one-on-one coaching sessions, leadership projects, two to three phone calls per month, and four face-to-face retreats.
Participants will take part in a self-guided leadership project during the first four months of the program and in a group project during the second half of the program, with final presentation to the AAN/AANI Board at the June 2018 Board Meeting.
Participants will be matched with a mentor who is a current or past member of the AAN Board of Directors.
Participants are required to attend the leadership retreats and coaching calls and schedule a mutually agreed upon face-to-face meeting with a mentor. The AAN covers all program related expenses for the selected participants.
This program is right for you if:
- You are a North American AAN member neurologist 10 or more years out of residency.
- You have demonstrated effective leadership skills and are interested in future roles of responsibility within the AAN and the field of neurology.
- Key Program Dates
Mandatory Leadership Retreats
- Fall 2017, AAN Headquarters, Minneapolis, MN
- Winter 2018, in conjunction with the AAN's Breakthroughs in Neurology Conference
- Spring 2018, in conjunction with the AAN Annual Meeting
- Summer 2018, AAN Headquarters, Minneapolis, MN, in conjunction with the AAN Board of Directors Meeting
- Application Requirements
It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all of the required documents in PDF format (unless otherwise noted) using the application site by June 5, 2017.
Please upload the following items in PDF format with your application:
- Letter of Interest
- How do you see yourself in a leadership role? Why are YOU the candidate for this program?
- Letter of Recommendation
- Proposed Personal Leadership Project
- This proposal should describe your personal leadership project. Include your major goal/vision for the next year and your desired outcome. It could be something in your work environment or community, a new program you'd like to launch, a new system you want to develop, or an old system you'd like to improve and make more effective.
- Explain how your project could impact and/or improve your work or community and give you real-time transforming leader experience.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Photo (.jpg or .png format)
For additional information, please contact Bonnie Sova, Senior Administrator Leadership Programs at (612) 928-6164.
- Letter of Interest
2017 Transforming Leaders Program
Front Row: Charlene Gamaldo, MD, FAASM, FAAN; Daniela Bota, MD; Michael F. Waters, MD, PhD, FAAN; Jennifer Bickel, MD; Barbara C. Jobst, MD, FAAN
Back Row: Susan T. Herman, MD, FAAN; Richard E. Ferguson, MD, MBA, FACP; Anil K. Dhuna, MD, FAASM, FAAN; A.M. Barrett, MD, FAAN; Kirk Roberts, MD
The Transforming Leaders Program is supported in part by grants from Allergan, Inc., Lundbeck, LLC., Sanofi Genzyme, and Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.